Sunday, 12 June 2011

Rainy Days

Greetings from a very rainy Essex!!

I don't know about the rest of the world, but the weather over here in the UK has pretty much sucked for the last week. And the crappy weather has definitely reflected my mood over the weekend - I have not been a happy bunny. Without going into too much detail, an ex-boyfriend has wandered back onto the scene over the last couple of weeks and has immediately caused untold amounts of turmoil. I've really struggled to deal with it, mainly because in true Lauren style I haven't told anyone that I was in touch with him. My friends and family all hate him with a passion and keeping it to myself is easier than hearing them say 'I told you so'. Again. Anyway, I finally spilled the beans to a (relatively unbiased) friend of mine and after talking it through with him I've now got it all sorted. I definitely underestimate my friends and the quality of their advice sometimes. I'm glad I confided in someone, it was a real weight off my chest as soon as I'd explained it all!

Anyway, as I said, it had been weighing on my mind and getting me down. Miraculously, I managed not to let it affect my eating and have been within points all weekend. I had a chilled (read: boring) night in last night - after sorting out the man drama - and it would have been so easy to fall off the wagon and stuff myself. But I didn't. Can't help but feel rather smug about it, to be honest.

I also visited my nan's house this weekend. My dad is staying there while his divorce goes through and he finds his feet. She lives kind of out in the middle of nowhere, and my dad has gotten into cycling since he's been down there - he and my brother go out for long rides every weekend. I went out with my brother for a ride (during the one hour of the afternoon that it wasn't raining) and oh my god, I had such a good time! I haven't ridden a bike in years, probably since I was 12 or 13, and I'd forgotten how much fun it is! I'm seriously tempted to get myself one - there are loads of places in and around Canterbury that would be amazing for bike rides when I get back to university in the Autumn, and try as I might I just can't get into running. I think cycling could definitely be a viable alternative. I've been hitting up ebay and a few other sites and I really want an old-fashioned town-bike. Preferably a really girly one, like these:




Aren't they adorable!? I'm thinking of buying a cheap-ish one from ebay for now, and then maybe spending a little more money on a new one later if I get good use out of it. Do any of you guys cycle regularly? If so, do you have any recommendations or advice?

I'm also very pleased to announce that I've been asked to do a guest post on Where Are My Knees? I love this blog and the variety of things the girls post about, so I'm very excited to be appearing on there. The post should appear within the next couple of weeks, but I'll keep you posted on that! 

Hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend - I'm praying you've had better weather than we have! And good luck to anybody weighing-in over the next couple of days!

Love to you all
Lauren xxx

P.S Given aforementioned ex-bf drama, I've listened to this song a lot over the last few days. It kind of sums up exactly how I've been feeling about the whole situation - in fact part of me wishes I'd just told him to listen to this instead of trying to explain it myself! It also happens to be a perfect rainy day track. One of my friends first introduced me to John Mayer when we were sitting our A-levels, so I've come to think of his music as a calming influence in a stressful time - which it certainly has been this weekend. This one is one of my favourites, but if you're not familiar with his stuff (most people are anyway, but I might as well throw my opinion out there anyway) and you've got a second, check out Free-Falling and Waiting On The World To Change. They're both on youtube and Spotify :)


6 comments:

  1. I want a bike too! So are you kicking the ex to the curb or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hyla, thanks for the comment. Yup, he is so out of here! Still not sure how I feel about it, he's been on the scene for almost five years, but it was the best things for everyone! :)

    Lauren xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bikes are really cute. Thanks for checking out my page!

    Sarah
    notaneffingdiet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I soooo want one of those bikes too! I started riding on the boardwalk a couple weeks ago. I don't do it regularly because I rent them from this place next door to me and they are $10 per bike for an hour every time. I'm a little bummed I can't buy a bike because the bike storage room in my building is full...I hope you get your bike soon! Looking forward to reading about it.

    -Krystle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lauren - Good for you girl! Stay strong and look after yourself!! The bikes are adorable. You totally need a pink one!

    Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings
    www.herlatenightcravings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhhhh i love the bike, ive been looking at getting one as well, been on ebay, and finally found one on gumtree for £80 and im like, do i or dont i? Especially with Italy coming soon.

    Im glad you got the ex thing sorted sweetie, nothing worse then feeling down, and well done on not turning to food

    love you lots xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!