Friday, 13 January 2012

How D'ya Like Them Apples?

I don't like apples. Just putting  it out there. Apples are not something I enjoy. I keep trying to like them, but I can never quite manage it. Its not that I actively dislike apples as such, I'm just not a huge fan of them. Every now and again I'll have a really amazing apple - juicy, tasty, sweet, perfectly ripe - and I'll get excited and believe that it is the dawn of a new age of my loving and enjoying apples. Alas, this never happens, and the next apple I eat is invariably too chewy, or too bitter, or has that horrid waxy feeling going on and I will be disappointed once more.

Despite this - despite knowing that I don't particularly enjoy apples and that eating them always turns out to be a chore - I keep buying apples. Why?, I hear you ask. And I will answer - I don't know. Maybe its because I am secretly optimistic about one day falling in love with apples, or maybe its because I always forget about my disappointment in them while I am shopping in Tesco - only to be reminded as soon as I bite into one of the cursed things. Maybe I'm just frivolous and like spending money. I don't know. But the point is, I keep buying them. And last week, I bought some that were particularly upsetting.

They were tart. No, more than that. They were downright bitter. The skin was too chewy and the flesh was too squishy. Basically everything that can be wrong with an apple - short of finding a worm in it - was wrong with these bad boys. Needless to say that I wasn't impressed, and after battling through four of them I really couldn't face eating the last two. Enter creativity.

See, while I don't like apples, I love apple pie. And apple crumble. Apple strudel. Apple turnover. Apple doughnuts. Basically anything in which my Fruit Frenemy has been covered in sugar and wrapped in some form of pastry. But as we all know, pastry is one of the five great enemies of Weight Watchers (the others are chocolate, cheese, chips and curry) and is therefore something that I cannot indulge in too often. While this is a very sad state of affairs, I am not one to dwell on what I can't have. I'd rather focus on what I can have. And what I can have, is pie-less Apple Pie.

You will need:
2-3 apples. Mine were Granny Smith's but I'm sure it'd work with any type.
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Peel, core and slice the apples and place them in an oven-proof dish. Sprinkle over the sugar and cinnamon and bake for 45 minutes. And thats it. You're done. The apples themselves are 1 ProPoint. Serve with 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream for an additional 3 ProPoints, or 2 scoops for an additional 6 ProPoints. It would also be delicious with half-fat creme fraiche - 1 ProPoint per tbsp - or some zero-fat Greek or Natural yogurt. The best part is, it actually tastes like Apple Pie. Just without the pastry. And for 1 point, I can live with that!


This picture kind of makes the apple slices look like potato wedges. I assure you, they're not. 
Also, apologies for the crappy phone quality picture.

Thats it from me for tonight - I have a hot date with Madonna and Graham Norton. Never let it be said that I don't know how to live!

Lauren xxx

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I love this post! I don't like apples much either, and completely agree with what you say about the chewy and squishiness!

    Your recipe sounds great! I'm imagining it would work well too in the microwave.

    Carrots x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look delicious !
    Definitely going to try :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!