Sunday, 18 March 2012

No Sound But The Wind.

Its no secret that I'm something of a Twi-hard (and have subsequently become a bit of a Truebie - more on that another time). I'm more than a little obsessed with all things Twilight and R-Pattz.

I originally read Twilight in 2004 and fell completely in love with the (admittedly fictional) character of Edward. I eagerly awaited the release of New Moon, and then Eclipse, and then Breaking Dawn, and was first in line to buy them when they were released. To give some context, this was before the Twilight phenomenon had even been thought about. Twilight was still a relatively unknown series in the Young Adult section in Waterstone's. It wasn't until the film came out in late 2008 that things really went mental.

Now, first of all, I don't just like Robert Pattinson because he is Edward - in fact I have thought he was beautiful since his big-film debut in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in 2005.

Ahh, baby R-Pattz!

Not only is he effing gorgeous, I also genuinely think he's a talented actor. Anybody who has seen Bel Ami (as I recently have) will agree with me. Granted, he's no Tom Hanks and he delivers plenty of dud lines, but he's not terrible. He's at least as good as the equally lovely Daniel Radcliffe! (Its such a shame D-Rad is short though. He'd be huge man-candy if he was 6ft tall.)

Anyway, the point of this post appears to have been lost in a gush of R-Pattz related affection. What I was originally getting at was that when the films first came out, I was dubious at best. I wasn't a huge fan of the first few Harry Potter movies and I was worried that the producers would make a similar hash of Twilight. I also didn't see how a film could capture the magic of Twilight. For those of you who haven't read the books, they are written in the first person from Bella's perspective. There is a lot of Bella's internal monologue and so on and so forth. This sounds tedious and depressing because film Bella is a miserable bint, but book Bella has a much better sense of humour. And granted, the films aren't as good as the books. How could they ever be? But they are good. Not amazing or Oscar-worthy, but for a bit of good old fashioned escapism, they do the trick. Twilight was a bit of a dud, but they have been getting progressively better since then and Breaking Dawn part 1 is awesome. Wedding scene = sobbing uncontrollably and lamenting the fact that I will never have an Edward or a Jacob. Woe. Woe woe woe.

One of the best things about the films, other than all the hunky vampires and werewolves running around, is the soundtracks. Some of my favourite songs have been discovered through the Twilight films. I'm by no means a music expert, in fact most of the time I can take or leave it. I'd rather read a book or watch a film than listen to music. Its not something that bothers me all that much. But every now and again I fall totally in love with a song, and it joins my (admittedly limited) repertoire of tracks that I can listen to over and over again. Which brings me back to the point of this post! I wanted to share with you some of my favourite Twilight-y songs, for no reason other than that they are gorgeous and I think everyone should have them in their life - whether they're Twi-hards or not!


Flightless Bird, American Mouth - Iron and Wine. (From Twilight and Breaking Dawn.)

No Sound But The Wind - Editors. (From New Moon.)

Life on Earth - Band of Horses. (From Eclipse.)

And without a doubt, my favourite song of the moment:


Turning Page - Sleeping At Last. (From Breaking Dawn part 1)

Can I walk down the aisle to that as well please?

Love,
Lauren xxx


3 comments:

  1. I'm going to put my hands up and I say I'm not a twilight fan, BUT I do adore the wedding scene and they did a much better job of adapting the twilight books to films than they did the sookie stakhouse books into True blood (which sucks because they have been THE books of my teenage years :'( ).

    I totally agree with the Rpatzzzz thing and the soundtracks are bloomin amazing!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH! You made my blogging day lol... I am a TWI-HARD as well. I almost lost it when I heard hunger games cast is after my twilight. lol.... You're so right, Bella was so far from boring in the books but only we true twi-harders know that. The sounddtrack are to die for!! :)

    -Edwards Biggest Crush, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loves the soundtracks so much, they are my i'm feeling slightly emo-ish and melodramatic and want a vampire to lurve! music! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments, so please let me know what you think!